Tuesday 8 November 2011

Meeting other Diplomats



I am lucky to be the private staff of a diplomat who is also a long time friend. On occasions where she is allowed to bring a companion she always brings me with her. It is during these times when I also meet other diplomats and their families and friends. One unique experience was the reception of the Embassy of Mexico last August. It was held aboard the training ship, Cuauhtemoc which was docked at the Piraeus Port. The ship was on a cruise passing by several ports in the USA and Europe. It was a well attended affair.That was my first time to attend a reception aboad a ship.

Last October 31, the Counsellor of  the Embassy of Vietnam here in Athens hosted a dinner at the Great Wall Restaurant. I met two Filipinas who are married to Vietnamese nationals in Greece. These Filipinas had been here for more than 10 years where they met their husbands. I was delighted to see fellow Pinays living comfortably here. I always thought the Pinays here were married to Greek nationals.I found their husbands very nice, almost shy.

The dinner was a familiarity affair. The Counsellor wanted to find out how the Philippine govt is able to bring Filipinos to work here in Greece. The discussion went from the how and the why...The Ambassador of Vietnam joined us later.

The food was delicious, truly Vietnamese. I particularly liked the spring rolls which were wrapped by rice wrappers. I love Vietnamese food.



No comments:

Post a Comment