Thursday 3 November 2011

Cairo Before the Arab Spring

Egypt was the first posting of my diplomat friend. She was crossposted from Guam where she stayed for more than two years. I joined her in Cairo in 2005, about 6 years before the Arab Spring early this year. I vividly remember Cairo, the pyramids, museums, and various historical places . I was fascinated by the beautiful citadels especially with lights on at night. And the prayer of the faithful three times a day which was heard  from loudspeakers was pleasant to me, surprisingly. I could feel the intensity of their love for Allah.

Tahrir square is an important landmark made more significant with the successful 'revolution' of the Egyptian people. It was a place which we frequented during our stay there and left us with memorable experiences. And as I watched the rallies for democratic reform reach fever pitch until  President Mubarak bowed to the will of the people, I somehow felt nostalgic. What lies in store for Cairo and Egypt?

                                           Taxis in Maadi, Cairo


                                           Sheep being tended


                                           Camels in the pyramids in Giza. Tourists could hire
                                            them to go around the area.

Well,this is not the venue for a discussion of what lies ahead.I am grateful that I saw the beauty of
Cairo and its people before history unfolds another chapter.
 Who knows, maybe in the next few years my friend and I would be able to visit Egypt again...

No comments:

Post a Comment